Saturday, November 21, 2009



Infrared is awesome! The human eye sees only a very tiny portion of the light emitted from the sun. This is called the visible spectrum.  Film and digital sensors can, however, be sensitized to capture this unseen portion just beyond the red wavelengths. While doing so, living things are rendered with a glowing ethereal look while having blue skies go toward black.
 I loved teaching this to my students as it was an exercise in creativity and seeing anew. These images were made using a Canon G5 adapted for IR only. My thanks go to a wonderful pro and friend, Jean Miele, for being the inspiration behind these images all made in Savoca, Sicilia.

2 comments:

  1. loving the IR shots! i wish I can program my Nikon to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole camera must be adapted. One would need a separate camera just for IR OR you could use film but then again, Kodak stopped making the film!

    ReplyDelete