Friday, April 23, 2010

High above Taormina sits Castelmola, a charming town with narrow streets boasting spectacular views. This arch is a central place for wedding photographers to immortalize brides and grooms.
I live in a small town on the SS114 just north of Taormina called Sant'Alessio. I was wandering the back streets one day just before pranzo when all life moves indoors.I caught this during one of those walks. The castle seen here is what in psychology is called a "secondary reinforcer" which in this case, lets one know he/she has arrived at Sant'Alessio which is a delicious sea side town known only to locals includine Messinesi, Catanesi and some Milanesi. The boat image and the castle at the bottom were made in Acitrezza and Acicastello, two seaside villages made famous by the immortal Giovanni Verga in his monumental novel "I Maglavoglia" The House by the Medlar Tree.



1 comment:

  1. Salve! I don't know if you will get this in time, but I am travelling to Taormina on Saturday with my girlfriend and another couple. I was wondering if you could recommend any really special, off the beaten path places to stay (it doesn't have to be in Taormina and we are also looking for something not crazy expensive - somewhere around €40 to €75 per room). I love your blog and since you know the area pretty well, I thought you might be able to help! Thanks!
    Scott Case
    sbcase@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete