Saturday, June 5, 2010


It is in exactly one month that I will be leaving once again for Sicilia with all the wonderful things it has to offer. Sunsets are sunsets but there IS something very special when seen from Lipari in the Aeolian Islands. These grapes which are grown for local consumption wine are from Fiumidinisi in the province of Messina. I am a train fanatic so when I came across these tracks in the Bronte area around Mount Etnea, I was beside myself. GRANITA.. impossible to describe to someone who hasn't had it but if I must, think of it as a cross between the best gelato (not ice cream) and a slushy but totally pure! For the "anziani" (elders) the traditional granita is limone. The one pictured here is pistacchio (from Bronte which is world famous for pistacchio production) and chocolate and is the best I have ever had. When one eats granita, one closes his eyes and insists no one speaks! This was actually eaten in Caltagirone, which is a town acclaimed for its ceramics. The remaining image was taken from a road leading out of Bronte. Mount Etnea is in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment